With the migration from MS Access to MS SQL Server, DeltaV users need to make configuration changes to LogMate to ensure proper operation. The following document provides detailed, easy instructions to make the necessary configuration changes.
In order for Capture to connect to the DeltaV SQL server, the SQL server needs to be set up to use SQL server authentication, allow remote connections, and have a user account for Capture to use to login.
To use SQL server authentication, right-click the ‘server name’ on the left-hand side and select Properties. On the Security page, please make sure SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode is selected.
Then, on the Connections page, check Allow remote connections to this server.
To create a user login account for Capture, open Security on the left side and Right-click Login, then select New Login. Enter the Login name, password, and default database on the General page, then click the User Mapping page and grant db_datareader permissions to the database.
To verify that the LogMate® machine can connect to the DeltaVa SQL Server, right-click on the LogMate® desktop and create a new notepad document. Rename the extension of the new file to .UDL. This will change the icon and open a Data Link Properties window for you.
Click the Provider tab at the top of the Data Link Properties window. Scroll down the list and select Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server and click the Next button.
On the Connections tab, enter the following details:
- DeltaV SQL Server name
- The username/password for the DeltaV SQL Server that LogMate will be using. NOTE: The settings for Authentication will be dependent on network protocols. If you are unsure, please consult your network admin or IT department. If Domain authentication is required, check Integrated Windows Authentication
- If you are able to connect to the SQL Server, then you should see a list of databases on the SQL Server in the drop down for #3.
If you can see the databases then we are able to connect to the Journal file and are ready to configure Capture.
NOTE: Make sure the Allow Saving Password box is checked.
In Capture, the first step to perform is adding the Database Definition at the bottom of the window. This allows for proper field mapping as the port is configured.
Deactivate the port, right-click and select Configure One Port from the menu. Click the button next to Source Database Connection String.
Say OK to the next message.
Click on the Provider tab at the top.
Scroll down the list and select Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server and click the Next button.
On the Connection tab, you will need to:
- Select the SQL Server that DeltaV is using.
- Enter a username and password that has a minimum of ‘read’ permissions to the DeltaV database in SQL – you will need to get this from a DeltaV representative. We typically use the ‘sa’ account, but sometimes this account has been disabled when SQL was installed. NOTE: Be sure to check the box to ‘Allow saving password’
- Select the database that DeltaV is writing the alarm info to.
‘Test Connection’ to verify we were able to connect to SQL and read the data.
If the ‘Test Connection’ fails, you will need to verify all the information entered and also if there is a firewall that is blocking communications to SQL. The default port used by SQL is 1433. Once the ‘Test Connection’ is successful then the rest of the screen entries should be simple to follow.
Change the Source Database Table to Journal by selecting it from the dropdown menu or an error will be displayed stating there is no indexed field for the table
There may be a new field in the DeltaV database called Event_Level. If so, we may need to add an additional UsrStr field to the TiPS database.
Troubleshooting Errors with DeltaV Upgrades
If you receive the Primary Key error, perform the following steps:
- In the OLEDB Setup window, click the Advanced button on the lower left. The advanced Port Configuration window appears.
- Click the ODBC Connection tab.
- Enter Ord in the Primary Key in Source Table field and then click the OK button.
- Check the box for Direct Mapping.
- Click the Set to Defaults button.
- Click OK and activate the port.
To verify Ord as the correct key value, launch SQL Management and look in SQL at the Journal table.